Turnitin is an Internet-based service created at the University of California, Berkeley. Essentially, Turnitin scans submitted works for similarity to material in public web sites, academic journals, papers purchased from essay mills, and essays and assignments concurrently or previously submitted to Turnitin, which are stored in its database.
More information is available from York's Academic Integrity website.
For detailed instructions on using Turnitin refer to the Turnitin Student Training.
Before using Turnitin, you must first obtain from your instructor the class ID number and enrollment password. You need this information to access your courses on Turnitin.
First Time Registration
- Connect to http://turnitin.com
- Click the create acount link at the top-right of the page
- Select Student in the "select user type..." drop-down menu. Click Next.
- Type in the class ID number and enrolment password that was provided by your instructor. Type in your email address in the email address field. Important: this will be your Turnitin username when you log in.
- Type in a new password in the fields. (Make a note of this password for future reference as you will need it each time you log in to Turnitin.)
- Select a secret question and type your answer in the field.
- Read the user agreement. You must agree to continue and create your profile. Click I agree -- Create Profile.
- The creation of your user profile should be completed. You should be informed in which Turnitin class you have been enrolled. Click end wizard and go to login page to login.
Once your user profile is set up, you can log into your Turnitin student homepage at any time to enroll in a class, submit a paper and view your submissions.
- Connect to http://turnitin.com.
- Login with your email address and password. (remember the username and password are case-sensitive). Click the Log In button.
- You will automatically appear in the my classes student homepage.
Enrolling into Additional Classes
- Your instructor will provide you with a class id and enrollment password for your class.
- Once you have logged into Turnitin, click my classes at the top to view your student homepage which lists the classes you have enrolled in with Turnitin. To add additional classes, click enroll in a class.
- Enter the class ID number and enrollment password (case-sensitive) provided by your instructor into the appropriate fields. Click theSubmit button.
- The new class will appear in your my classes list on your student homepage.
To view the assignments for one of your classes, go to my classes student homepage and click on the class you want to view. You are now viewing the Class Portfolio page.
The left column of your portfolio lists your assignments and deadlines. The right column shows the submissions you have made. To submit a paper, click Submit next to the appropriate assignment.
You can submit a paper either by uploading a text file (in MS Word, WordPerfect, RTF, PDF, PostScript, plain text and HTML formats), or you can cut and paste your paper into a text box.
Once your paper is successfully submitted, you will receive a digital receipt. Please keep this receipt for your records.
More information and instructions on using Turnitin can be found in the Turnitin Student Help Center.