How to send emails to York and Non-York email addresses when using a Non-York Internet Service Provider (ISP)
If you are using an internet service provider other than York (Sympatico, Rogers or other) you may experience difficulties sending emails to non-York email addresses. You will get an error message stating that relaying was denied and message was not sent. To solve this problem York has introduced a new SMTP (Outgoing mail server) through which you would be able to send messages to non-York email address without any problem. To make this work, please follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Important Note for Rogers ISP
Rogers is implementing a new program with their outgoing server. Client(s) planning to use Rogers’ outgoing server for a non-Rogers’ e-mail account will need to verify that account first. Instructions are available online at http://www.rogershelp.com/yahoo/article.php?id=10H-F
How to setup SMTP authentication on your York email
- Start Thunderbird.
- Click on the Tools menu and choose Account Settings ...
- In the left pane, click Outgoing Server (SMTP).
- Server Name: mailrelay.yorku.ca.
- Port: 587.
- Put a check mark beside Use name and password.
- User Name: your York email username.
- Under secure connection: choose TLS, if available and click OK.
Next time you want to send an email, a certificate window will pop up. You can choose “Don’t show this window again” and then click OK to proceed. You will be asked to authenticate. Use your York email password.
Mac Mail OS X
- Login to your Mac Email program by clicking the Stamp icon.
- From the Mail menu, choose Preferences.
- Click the Accounts button.
- Choose the account you want to make changes in (e.g. email@example.com). If you are using Mac OS X 10.2, then click the Edit button.
- At the bottom right corner, click the Server Settings .. button.
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mailrelay.yorku.ca.
- Server Port: 587.
- Put a check mark beside Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- In Authentication field, choose Password.
- Username: Your York email username (e.g. john).
- Password: Your York email password.
- Click OK.
- Close and Quit from Mac Email program.
- Click Save if it asks to save changes.
Next time you want to send an email, a certificate window will pop up. You can choose “Don’t show this window again” and then click Continue to proceed. You will be asked to authenticate. Use your York email password.
Microsoft Outlook 2003
Note: Microsoft Outlook 2003 will only work with our SMTP server after service pack 2 for office has been installed. To update your Microsoft Office, please visit http://office.microsoft.com
- Start Microsoft Outlook.
- Click Tools menu and choose Email Accounts.
- Select View or Change existing e-mail accounts and click the Nextbutton.
- In the listbox to the right, choose the account you have listed for @yorku.ca (mypost.yorku.ca by default) and click the Changebutton on the right.
- Select the textbox for the Outgoing mail server and enter mailrelay.yorku.ca. Please click the More Settingsbutton.
- Select the Advanced tab. Select the Outgoing server (SMTP) textbox and enter 587. Please ensure that This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) is checked and click the OKbutton.
- You should now be looking back at the E-mail Accounts dialog. Now please click the Finish button.
(SMTP authentication does not work properly with earlier versions of Eudora)
- Login to email using Eudora.
- From the Tools menu, choose Options.
- From the left pane, click Sending Mail.
- In the SMTP server field type: mailrelay.yorku.ca.
- Put a check mark for the following:
- Allow authentication
- Immediate send
- Use submission port (587)
- From Secure Sockets when Sending choose If Available, STARTTLS.
- Click OK.
Internet E-mail Auto-Protect.
Next time when you want to send an email, a certificate window will pop up. You can choose “Don’t show this window again” and then click OK to proceed. You will be asked to authenticate. Use your York email password.